Wednesday, May 20, 2009

more bonus!!!

1) I found this article to be quite eye openeing to myself and any other person who likes to be pampered. Honestly, besides the fact that its just soomething else to spend money on, I decided to do my own nails, my own eyebrows, and my own waxing. Not only am I discovering some hidden talent (I'm very good with my tweezer), but also I now don't feel so guilty about having someone poorer than I pamper me for only $7 (plus about $2 tip) a visit. I always wondered how much they got and this article answered my question. I realize some places its fancier and for customers of high classes, so the price is also more, but still, these women are on their knees, polishing other women. It must put alot of psychological pressure on these workers, and the feeling of inferiority must be very stressful. To the customers who go in the workers must be polite and slave themselves for such little pay. That's true emotional labor. For example, I got a coupon a few months ago for a salon in Midtown Manhattan which was very fancy. It was well made up and the workers there treated you like a princess, with a glass of whatever it is you wanted and some chocolates or mint when you left. The environment was very relaxing and all the workers seemed very calm, and yet there was one customer shouting at the top of her lungs at a worker because the poor worker failed to understand what she wanted. Meanwhile the worker had to put on a smile and kindly fix what she had done wrong...which I honestly didnt understand so myself. Though, even after all this, the manager still got in a few words with the worker and gave their customer 20% off her next visit! Now, if this doesnt show how money controls your title or status then I dont know what does!

3 comments:

  1. Great post - I wonder - with this article, and with Ehrenreich - is there a reaction other than guilt that we might have? What do you think is it the author's intent for us to think or feel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great topic! This is something that i also have wondered myself but never quite looked at it this way.And I thought it was very cool what you said about doing your own nails and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why thank you both! yeah i think the author was just trying to show us the other side of the story. Women go into salons expecting to get treated on like a princess but they never think of how the workers might be feeling, and she shows that they maybe feeling like slaves. But its very hard to not feel guilty, especially if your one who usually gets pampered at salons by these women. One might feel they need to tip more, or be kinder. But there are very ignorant people who just say " well its their job".

    ReplyDelete